Jenkins is an automation server and a continuous integration tool. It provides several plugins for building deployments and automation for your applications. You can use Jenkins as a simple CI (Continuous Integration) server or configure this for the CD (Continuous Delivery) hub. With Jenkin’s help, you can efficiently distribute work across multiple machines, helping drive builds, tests, and deployments across multiple platforms faster.
This tutorial describe you to how to install Jenkins on Ubuntu 20.04 Linux system. Let’s go through the tutorial and complete Jenkins installation on an Ubuntu system.
Step 1 – Installing Java
Jenkins required Java to run on any operating systems. The latest versions of Jenkins is test with Java 8 & 11 versions. To fulfill the requirements, you can install OpenJDK on your system.
To install OpenJDK Java on your Ubuntu system, type:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install default-jdk
Once the installation finished, check the Java version by typing the below command:
java -versionopenjdk version "18.104.22.168" 2020-11-04 OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 22.214.171.124+1-Ubuntu-0ubuntu1.20.04) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 126.96.36.199+1-Ubuntu-0ubuntu1.20.04, mixed mode, sharing)
Step 2 – Installing Jenkins
Jenkins official team provides the Debian packages for the installaton on Ubuntu systems. You just need to configure official PPA to your system and install Jenkins on Ubuntu systems.
Use below steps to install Jenkins on Ubuntu:
- Import GPG Key – Use the following command to import GPG to your system.
wget -q -O - https://pkg.jenkins.io/debian/jenkins.io.key | sudo apt-key add -
- Add PPA – Next, configure the Jenkins PPA to your Ubuntu system using the following command:
sudo sh -c 'echo deb http://pkg.jenkins.io/debian-stable binary/ > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jenkins.list'
- Install Jenkins – Update the apt-get cache before installing Jenkins on Ubuntu. After that, you can install Jenkins on an Ubuntu system by running the below commands.
sudo apt update
sudo apt install jenkins
Once the installation complected, Jenkins service run on port 8080. If the same port is occupied by any other service on your system, You can edit /etc/default/jenkins file and change its port by setting HTTP_PORT value.
- Check Service – Finally check the jenkins service status using the following command.
sudo systemctl status jenkins
● jenkins.service - LSB: Start Jenkins at boot time Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/jenkins; generated) Active: active (exited) since Sat 2021-01-09 23:02:34 IST; 3s ago Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8) Process: 337540 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/jenkins start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) Jan 09 23:02:33 vm108 systemd: Starting LSB: Start Jenkins at boot time... Jan 09 23:02:33 vm108 jenkins: Correct java version found Jan 09 23:02:33 vm108 jenkins: * Starting Jenkins Automation Server jenkins Jan 09 23:02:33 vm108 su: (to jenkins) root on none Jan 09 23:02:33 vm108 su: pam_unix(su-l:session): session opened for user jenkins by (uid=0) Jan 09 23:02:33 vm108 su: pam_unix(su-l:session): session closed for user jenkins Jan 09 23:02:34 vm108 jenkins: ...done. Jan 09 23:02:34 vm108 systemd: Started LSB: Start Jenkins at boot time.
You have successfully installed Jenkins on Ubuntu 20.04 system. Next initialize the Jenkins installation for first and configure it.
Step 3 – Access Jenkins Web Interface
Access your server on port 8080 (Or updated port) in your favorite web browser. The default installation password can be found at /var/lib/jenkins/secrets/initialAdminPassword as showing in the below image.
Now select the appropriate option to install the plugin. You can choose to install suggested plugins or select the required plugins options.
Next, create an admin account for your Jenkins setup. Which is required to log in to Jenkins.
After the successful completion of the Jenkins setup wizard, You will be redirected to Jenkins dashboard.
Step 4 – Installing Jenkins Plugin
Login to Jenkins dashboard and navigate to Manage Jenkins >> Manage Plugins >> Available Tab and select the plugins to install.
To update existing installed plugins in Jenkins Manage Jenkins >> Manage Plugins >> Update Tab
Step 5 – Add More Accounts
To create more accounts, login to the Jenkins admin panel and then navigate to Manage Jenkins >> Manage Users >> Create User . Enter the required details and click Create User.
This tutorial helps you to install Jenkins on your Ubuntu 20.04 Linux system. You can now configure your application with CI/CD architecture.