Notepad++ is a popular, open-source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several programming languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by the GPL License. While Notepad++ is native to Windows, Linux users, including those on Ubuntu 22.04, can still install and run it using Wine or as a snap package. Here’s how you can do it:
Method 1: Installing Notepad++ as a Snap Package
Snap is a package management system that allows you to install and manage software easily. Notepad++ is available as a snap package, making it straightforward to install on Ubuntu 22.04.
- Install Snap: If Snap is not already installed on your Ubuntu system, you can install it by entering the following command in the terminal:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install snapd
- Install Notepad++: With Snap installed, you can now install Notepad++ by running:
sudo snap install notepad-plus-plus/code>
- Run Notepad++: After installation, you can start Notepad++ from your application menu, or by running the following command in the terminal:
snap run notepad-plus-plus/code>
Method 2: Installing Notepad++ Using Wine
Wine is a compatibility layer that allows you to run Windows applications on various POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD. To install Notepad++ on Ubuntu 22.04 via Wine, follow these steps:
- Install Wine: First, you need to install Wine on your Ubuntu system. Open a terminal and enter the following commands:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update
sudo apt install wine64 wine32
This will install both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Wine.
- Download Notepad++: Next, download the Notepad++ installer from the official website (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/).
- Run the Installer: Once the download is complete, navigate to the directory where the installer was downloaded. Right-click in the folder and select "Open in Terminal", then run the installer with Wine by typing:
Replace <Notepad++Installer.exe> with the actual file name of the Notepad++ installer.
- Follow the Installation Wizard: The Notepad++ installation wizard will open. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
By following either of the methods described above, you can successfully install Notepad++ on your Ubuntu 22.04 system. Whether through Wine for a more traditional Windows application experience or as a snap package for ease of installation and updates, Notepad++ can be a valuable tool for developers and casual users alike on Linux platforms.