Ubuntu Desktop and Servers users has a new stable version 15.10 is available to install and upgrade with various changes and upgrades. So I recommend all desktop users to upgrade to this release But If you are running with Ubuntu LTS releases on your server, I don’t recommend you to upgrade to this non LTS release.
Upgrade to Ubuntu 15.10 via GUI
Below is the step by step process for upgrading Ubuntu 15.04 to Ubuntu 15.10. Following the instructions as below:-
- Login to Ubuntu Desktop
- Open the “Software & Updates” Setting in System Settings
- Select the 3’rd Tab called “Updates”
- Set the “Notify me of a new Ubuntu version” dropdown menu to “For any new version”.
- Now open “update-manager”, It will show you that new distribution is available
- Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions
Upgrade to Ubuntu 15.10 via Command Line
For CLI lover users or working with Ubuntu server having CLI access only can follow below instruction to upgrade ubuntu.
- Update current packages
$ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get upgrade
- Install the update-manager-core package
$ sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
- Make sure the /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades is set to normal
- Execute below command to launch upgrade tool
$ sudo do-release-upgrade
- Follow the on-screen instructions
The upgrade from 15.04 to 15.10 can take more time (depending on the speed of the machine and Internet connection). Step away and allow the process to complete. When it finishes, reboot the machine, and you should be good to go.